Here is the News Snapshot of global economy, cryptocurrency, startups, interest rate and investment.
- According to the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the prospects for global economy are looking brighter. However, the IMF has downgraded its forecast for South Africa this year and the next year.
2. Robert Shiler, a Nobel-prize winning economist, spoke about Bitcoin at the World Economic Forum in Davos:
“I tend to think of bitcoin as an experiment. It is an interesting experiment, but it’s not a permanent feature of our lives,” said Shiller, who has previously warned that the bitcoin price could collapse. “We are over-emphasising bitcoin, we should expand it out to blockchain, which will have other applications.”
3. Confirm.io, a Boston-based biometric ID verification startup, has been acquired by Facebook for an undisclosed amount. Raised at least $4 million from investors, the startup offered an API that allows companies quickly check the authenticity of a person’s government-issued identification card such as a driver’s license.
4. At the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting on 25 January 2018, Bank Negara Malaysia decided to increase the Overnight Policy Rate (OPR) by 25 basis points to 3.25 percent. The floor and ceiling rates of the corridor for the OPR are correspondingly raised to 3.00 percent and 3.50 percent respectively
5. Speaking at Invest Malaysia 2018, Datuk Zainal Amanshah, CEO of Invest KL believes Malaysia will continue to be an attractive investment destination. He added, “What constitutes the attractiveness of KL and Malaysia is still there. What’s important is we’re going after high-quality investments.”майл поисковиквидеокамеры sony