KUALA LUMPUR, 15 March 2019 – MIDA (Malaysian Investment Development Authority) held their Annual Media Conference 2019 yesterday, 14 March 2019 to talk about Malaysia’s investment performance in 2018.
YB Datuk Darell Leiking, Minister of the International Trade and Industry (MITI) said during his speech, “Malaysia is set to leverage on the improving trend of private investments bolstered by the positive sentiments arising from the new Government’s supportive policies and clear economic direction. This is mirrored in the total approved investments in the manufacturing, services and primary sectors, which has increased from RM200.6 billion (2017) to RM201.7 billion (2018). To break it down further, investments approved for the period of January to June 2018 were valued at RM86.1 billion, while a total of RM115.6 billion investments were approved for the period of July to December 2018.”
The ratio of foreign and domestic investments is in line with the Government’s aspiration for domestic investments to assume the key role of driving Malaysia’s investment agenda. The pie was split with domestic direct investments (DDI) assuming 60.1% of the share at RM121.2 billion, while foreign direct investments (FDI) accounted for the remaining 39.9% or RM80.5 billion. Foreign investors continue to capitalize on uniquely Malaysian ecosystems and its regional synergies as FDI increased by 48% from RM54.4 billion in 2017.
The manufacturing sector presented as the champion with a significant margin with approved investments totaling RM87.4 billion in 2018, a notable 37.2% higher, as compared to RM63.7 billion in 2017. The services and primary sectors recorded investments of RM103.4 billion and RM10.9 billion respectively in 2018.
Here’s a quick view of MIDA’s presentation slide during their Annual Media Conference 2019.
MIDA_Slide Presentation AMC 2019_v6.7