KUALA LUMPUR, 23 April 2020 – Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin has announced the third extension to the Movement Control Order (MCO), which will be effective from April 28 to May 12 under its fourth phase.
The government will also slightly loosen MCO restrictions to allow university students who are still restricted to their campuses, as well as those stuck in their hometowns during the duration of the MCO to travel.
During a televised national address, the prime minister said the decision was made after going through the data provided by the Ministry of Health (MOH). He did not rule out the possibility that the MCO could be further extended after May 12.
“While there have been positive development in terms of the COVID-19 numbers, the steps that we are currently taking to curb the spread of the COVID-19 virus will continue to be enforced until we are confident that the outbreak is contained successfully.
“Therefore, I would like to announce that the MCO, which was previously expected to end on April 28, will be extended for another two weeks until May 12,” he said.
During Phase 4 of the MCO, the government will monitor the developments before making any further decision, said Muhyiddin.
He noted that many have made the journey back to their hometowns before the partial lockdown came into force on March 18; hence, they have not been able to return to their homes in the cities.
The government is currently considering allowing those that fall under these categories a one-time pass permitting them to return to their families and homes, although they will have to apply for the permission with the Royal Malaysian Police.
The applications can be made either online or at the nearest police station, by appointment.
The movement of those that are permitted to travel will be controlled by the police to reduce the incidence of congestion on the highways, as well as at the rest stops along the way.
The details relating to this measure will be announced soon, he said.
Read more: MCO: FAQ on Business Operations