PUTRAJAYA – Six districts in Selangor will be placed under the Movement Control Order (MCO) from May 6-17, said Senior Minister (Security) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
He said the six districts are Hulu Langat, Petaling, Gombak, Klang, Kuala Langat and Sepang while the three remaining districts – Kuala Selangor, Sabak Bernam and Hulu Selangor – would continue to be under the Conditional MCO (CMCO).
He said the decision to implement the MCO was done after taking into consideration the surge in COVID-19 cases, with Selangor recording the highest number of daily cases from April 20 to May 4.
Social activities are disallowed under the new measures, but most economic activities will not be affected, said Senior Minister (Security) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
He said the standard operating procedures (SOPs) to be enforced in the six districts — Hulu Langat, Petaling, Gombak, Klang, Kuala Langat and Sepang — will be the same as those enforced in other MCO areas such as Kelantan and the five districts in Kedah.
“Grocery and convenience stores as well as shops selling daily necessities are allowed to operate between 6am and 10pm. Petrol stations are also allowed to operate between 6am and 10pm,” Ismail Sabri said at a media conference yesterday.
He added that dining premises will be allowed to operate between 6am and midnight in the six districts. They will, however, not be allowed to accept dine-in orders under the National Security Council’s (NSC) guidelines on MCO.
Daily markets, including night and morning markets, will be allowed to operate between 6am and 2pm, while Ramadan bazaars are still allowed to operate in line with strict SOPs.
“However, the decision on whether to continue or close the bazaars is subject to the discretion of the state government through the local authorities,” he said.
He said no interstate and interdistrict movement will be allowed in the six districts placed under the MCO in Selangor, except for emergency cases.
Sports and recreational activities that do not involve physical touch are allowed, as long as the proper SOPs are followed, namely adhering to physical distancing requirements and being carried out in open and closed spaces for the purpose of exercise and health.
Economic activities in MCO areas are allowed to continue, but social activities are not allowed.
Ismail Sabri said work-from-home directives will be announced by the government and the Ministry of International Trade and Industry soon.
He said the remaining three districts in Selangor — Kuala Selangor, Sabak Bernam and Hulu Selangor — remain under Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO).
The SOP on the MCO in the six districts can be accessed at the National Security Council (MKN) website at www.mkn.gov.my.
On the Green Travel Bubble from one Recovery MCO (RMCO) state to another RMCO state for the purpose of tourism using the services of travel agencies as announced previously, he said the government had decided to suspend the permit for such cross-state travel with immediate effect.
However, he said tourism activities in RMCO states are allowed.
Hari Raya Aidilfitri SOPs
The minister also announced SOPs relating to the upcoming Hari Raya Aidilfitri.
Hari Raya prayers are allowed at mosques and suraus in MCO, CMCO, and Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO) areas, he said, although the final decision lies with the religious authority of each state.
However, the feasts following the prayers at the mosques are not allowed for MCO areas.
Visiting relatives is allowed in MCO areas, but only on the first day of Aidilfitri with guests not exceeding 15 people at one time, while in CMCO areas, it is allowed for the first three days of Aidilfitri with guests limited to up to 25 people at any given time.
On the other hand, visiting graves is not allowed in MCO areas, but allowed for CMCO and RMCO areas, being limited to six people per lot not exceeding 30 minutes.