KUALA LUMPUR – The Financial Literacy Month (FLM2021), organised by Financial Education Network
(FEN) was launched by YB Senator Tengku Datuk Seri Utama Zafrul bin Tengku Abdul Aziz, Minister of Finance on October 15. FLM2021 aims to engage Malaysians from all walks of life to raise financial awareness, provide financial education and advice, as well as improving their financial well-being.
Themed “Navigate Your Finances: Stay Safe, Act Wisely”, FLM 2021 takes place from October 1 to 31 and will feature a variety of programmes such as webinars, competitions, virtual information booths for children, students, youth, adults, retirees and Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs).
Attendees will also have the opportunity to virtually meet their banks and licensed financial planners to discuss their finances, learn how to achieve financial goals, manage their debt and protect their finances for the future.
“The impact of COVID-19 has highlighted the importance of financial literacy as an essential life skill, both to improve livelihoods for all and prepare for unexpected situations. Giving Malaysians the confidence to make sound financial decisions is crucial to help them navigate their finances especially during this challenging time”, said Governor Datuk Nor Shamsiah.
“Sound financial and investment management has never become more important, especially in light of the lessons learnt from the pandemic. The FLM2021 addresses the need for individuals to be more aware and empowered to manage their money wisely, plan ahead and invest for their future.
“Ultimately, the path to achieving financial well-being starts with awareness to make informed decisions,” added Datuk Syed Zaid Albar, Chairman of the Securities Commission Malaysia.
FLM2021 will end with a three-day virtual financial literacy finale event (October 29 to 31, 2021). Highlights at the event include:
- “Virtual Financial Advisory Clinics” – “MEET YOUR BANK” – an event bringing together 22 banks under a one-stop virtual platform. The event will provide an opportunity for Malaysians, particularly those facing financial challenges, to have one-on-one virtual meetings with their banks, to discuss repayment assistance options and obtain financial advice in a safe and secure setting;
- Virtual Booth Exhibition by FEN members and strategic partners – the public can access information and speak to designated staff on financial management, e-payment, insurance and takaful, investment, financial fraud and retirement planning. Visitors can also connect with government agencies and companies for skills upgrading, retraining and opportunities to generate income, with a focus on supporting Gig workers, MSMEs as well as for those who are currently unemployed;
- Webinars on personal financial management, covering a range of current and topical issues on managing money and debt, insurance and takaful protection, raising a financially literate family and many more;
- Virtual one-on-one financial planning consultations with licensed financial planners; and
- Financial literacy programs for school children, including a children’s corner featuring a variety of interesting and interactive financial literacy activities for children that will also showcase a special virtual LATerasi Kewangan exhibition of Datuk Lat’s caricature collection.